Measures of Performance and Illusions of Control


The second step of the four steps of feedback control is to measure the actual performance which is a part of adjusting performance. The measurement is being used should be related to the standards set in the first step of the control process, and the reports should be designed to help managers evaluate how well the organization is meeting its standards. As for myself, there are a couple of data that are needed for me to measure my actual performance. They are (1) data on my health, this is to determine my well-being performance and what should I do to improve my health, (2) data on my academic to measure my student life performance, (3) my financial data to measure my financial performance of whether my expenses are within the budget or not. Besides, I also tend to measure my growth instead of the end-outcome, this is because as mentioned in the article "Why Companies Should Measure "Share of Growth," Not Just Market Share," measuring market or the result could be too straightforward while measuring growth could help to understand our real performance (Sullivan, 2017).

Although I prefer to measure my performance through growth, others might see my performance through the end result. For instance, my personal standard for academic performance is the best when it has a big amount of improvement from the previous semester. However, other people like my friends, families might see my performance only through the current GPA  for the current semester. Thus, differences like this occur when measuring my performance. Consequently, people might perceive my current performance or current life differently from what I feel with myself. This then could lead to lowering my self-esteem while also motivate me to work harder to live up to people's expectation.


The illusion of control is the tendency for people to overestimate their ability to control events; for example, it occurs when someone feels a sense of control over outcomes that they demonstrably do not influence. Personally, I do not think that I often overestimate my ability to control an event. But when I do, it is usually about trying to stay positive despite when the situation is bad. While this is not really a bad thing, but it can be perceived negatively if it is to the extent that I am trying to deny reality. Thus, it is important to be aware and be able to differentiate between what we can and cannot control. The best way is probably to accept reality and find a way to deal with it instead of ignoring it and just staying positive.

Albert Einstein, a theoretical physicist once said that "not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts." From this saying, I believe that we need to take into account what really matters and not everything that we do really matters to evaluate our performance. Besides, it is important to understand that sometimes the end result may not be everything, but the process is more important.

Comments