My personality, emotional intelligence, and locus of control



An individual's personality is the set of characteristics that underlie a relatively stable pattern of behavior in response to ideas, objects, or people in the environment (Daft & Marcic, 2017). As for me, I used The Big Five personality factors to describe my own personality.

1. Extroversion: It is the degree to which a person is outgoing, sociable, assertive, and comfortable with an interpersonal relationship. I would rate myself as 2 on the scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the closest to extrovert) on these criteria. This is because I do not really like to socialize with new people but am comfortable enough to hang out or communicate with my close circle. I am also a type of person that is quite shy to start a new conversation with new people. In order to manage this personality, I would try to maximize the benefits or the advantages of an introvert. The upside of being an introvert includes: being more cautious and deliberate, have a greater ability to listen and make suggestions, and be more creative (Daft & Marcic, 2017). I also believe that while being an introvert has its own benefits, I still need to develop better social skills so that I could be more approachable and I am able to approach others easier.

2. Agreeableness: It is the degree to which a person is able to get along with others by being good-natured, likable, cooperative, forgiving, understanding, and trusting. I would rate myself at 4 as I personally think that I am easy to understand other's circumstances. Besides, I also feel like I am open to receive and hear other's opinion. I believe that there are a variety of answers to a question and one should not only stick to one possibility.

3. Conscientiousness: The degree to which a person is focused on a few goals, thus behaving in ways that are responsible, dependable, persistent, and achievement-oriented. I would also rate myself at 4 for conscientiousness. I am a highly responsible and goal-oriented person. I would always set a standard for myself in everything or task I have done.

4. Emotional stability: The degree to which a person is calm, enthusiastic, and self-confident, rather than tense, depressed, moody, or insecure. For this personality, I would rate myself at 3 because I am not a highly confident person and sometimes would panic over things. I should definitely work on this personality and be more confident in my own abilities.

5. Openness to experience: It is the degree to which a person has a broad range of interests and is imaginative, creative, artistically sensitive, and willing to consider new ideas. I would rate myself at 4 for this one as I am open to new option and would not limit myself to only one choice.


Emotional intelligence is the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically. It basically comprises four basic components: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management. It could affect how we manage behavior, and make personal decisions to achieve positive results.

"Are You Emotionally Intelligent? Here's How to Know for Sure" (Bradberry, 2017):

  • You have a robust emotional vocabulary
  • You're curious about people
  • You embrace change
  • You know your strengths and weaknesses
  • You're a good judge of character
  • You are difficult to offend
  • You know how to say no (to Yourself and Others)
  • You let go of mistakes
  • You give and expect nothing in return
  • You don't hold grudges
  • You neutralize toxic people
  • You don't seek perfection
  • You appreciate what you have
  • You disconnect
  • You limit your caffeine intake
  • You get enough sleep
  • You stop negative self-talk in its track
  • You won't let anyone limit your joy
Based on the criteria above, I would say that I am about 75% emotionally intelligent. This is because I would say yes to most of the criteria above except for some and they are: (1) Limit my caffeine intake, I would always drink coffee almost every day as I feel like it would help me to stay active and productive. Besides, (2) I don't always stop negative self-talk, as I feel like it could be a building motivation for me. And (3), I am not very curious about others as I don't really feel the needs to know them better. The most challenging aspect of emotional intelligence for me is relationship management. I feel like one of my biggest weakness is that it is always hard for me to build and maintain a relationship. I should definitely work on that to improve myself better.


Locus of control refers to how people perceive the cause of life events-- whether they place the primary responsibility within themselves or on outside forces. People with a high internal locus of control feel that they are in control of their own fate. On the other hand, an individual with a high external locus of control tend to believe that events in their lives occur because of chance, luck, or outside people and events and they feel more like pawns of their fate. I personally do believe that luck plays a role in determining the result of my actions. But I believe that hard work and efforts still play a larger role and I need to put my best effort into doing something so that I could get better result and reward. As I have a higher internal locus of control, it is easier for myself to find the motivation to do my work and task properly.


Comments